If you’ve seen our first IG reel, then you know we just made the most delicious Mushroom Chili Tamales 😍🫔 Soooo… here’s our final product! What do ya’ll think? We topped them off with some homemade Mexican crema and chopped cilantro 🌿💚 Oh, and let’s not forget the sprinkle of red pepper flakes for a little extra spicy! 🔥😉 Let us know how the recipe goes – check it out below! ⤵️⤵️⤵️
20-25 corn husks
15 oz of shiitake mushrooms
1 onion, medium-sized
3 tbs of adobo chili paste
2 tbs of tomato paste
2 tbs of cooking oil
1 tsp of garlic powder
1/2 tsp of cumin
Salt to taste
3 cups maseca
1/2 cup of vegan shortening, melted
2 cups of vegetable broth (more if needed)
1 tbs of triguisar or turmeric, optional
1. Soak corn husks in a bowl with hot water for 30-35 minutes.
1. In a food processor, add your mushrooms and pulse until crumb-like consistency. Add to a mixing bowl.
2. In the food processor, add your onion and pulse until crumb-like consistency. Add to a mixing bowl.
3. Mix mushrooms and onions.
4. In a pan over medium heat, add cooking oil, mushroom and onion.
5. Add adobo paste, tomato paste and spices. Cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
6. Add salt and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
7. Set aside.
1. In a mixing bowl, add maseca, shortening and triguisar/turmeric. Mix well.
2. Add veggie one cup at a time to make sure the right consistency is achieved.
3. Mix well.
4. Set aside.
1. Add the 2-inch scoop of dough to the corn husk. Press down.
2. Add about 1 tbs of filling.
3. Close and tie your tamale (See our IG reel for demonstration)
4. In a steamer basket, add your tamales open side up.
5. Add water to the steamer pot.
6. Bring it to a boil, cover the pot and then place on low heat.
7. Steam the tamales for about 60 minutes.
8. Add water as needed to the steamer pot.
9. Enjoy 🙂