Nothing is more comforting during a cold winter day than a warm, creamy soup – are we right, or we right!? Today on the menu is a creamy black eyed pea and potato soup; super flavorful with a bit of heat to get you going through these long winter days! A perfect lunch item if you ask us!
FYI: Black eyed peas are very unique legumes. Although called a “pea”, they actually are a bean with a very earthy taste to them. We absolutely LOVE them! 😉 Check out the recipe below ⤵️⤵️⤵️
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 cups of chopped celery
1 medium size onion, finely chopped
8-10 small potatoes, cut in quarters
1.5 cups of black eyed peas (frozen)
1/2 tea spoon of garlic powder
1/4 tea spoon of cumin powder
1/8 tea spoon of cayenne powder
1-2 bay leaves
2 cups of veggie broth
1 cup of water
1.5 cups of non diary milk
2 handfuls or spinach
Salt/pepper to taste
1. In a pot, add oil, chopped celery and onion. Cook until both are fully caramelized.
2. Add in potatoes, black eyed peas, garlic, cumin, cayenne, bay leaves and liquids(veggie broth, water, non-dairy milk). Mix well.
3. Bring soup to boil and let it cook on medium heat until potatoes are fully cooked.
4. If the liquid has dried out too much, add in a bit more veggie broth and/or non-dairy milk.
5. Add salt/pepper to taste.
6. 5 mins before serving, fold in spinach.
7. Enjoy! 😍